Tuesday, January 11, 2011

In the Beginning...


Hello again everyone. As this blog is meant to help people achieve peace with there exist, I’ll start my instruction with the beginning of existence. This, I think, I can summarize in one line. You may have heard something similar.

In the beginning, there was the Logos.

As you may or may not know, the translation of the Greek word Logos is commonly “Word.” I believe this is most often used in the context of God, i.e. God’s Word brought the universe into existence.  Unfortunately, I don’t recall who first used the phrase but I do know that the original line was written in Greek, and in theological discourse the word is generally left untranslated. However, Logos can also mean “logic” and “reason”, among other things. The word I’m going to use is Thought. And, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to avoid the word God and instead refer to any potential entity as Logos. 

Now, to fully explain myself, I’m going to have to explain how I perceive thought in humans. As far as we can tell, thought occurs when electrical pulses charge specific areas of the brain. These pulses travel through brain cells, across synapses, and, I propose, produce thought. Somehow, these electrical pulses  translate into the images and sounds that we form within our skulls. Now, it is possible that the physical matter of the brain somehow produces thought, but I do not believe so. Rather, it’s a property of electricity to transmit data, i.e. thoughts and information. 

However, I don’t believe that electricity alone has this power. I believe it’s one of the quickest ways to do so, as electricity is able to travel at the speed of light, the universal speed limit, and that’s why it’s our preferred method of transferring information, both biologically and technologically. I propose, however, that this is not a property of electricity itself, but of energy in general. Energy is able to carry data in itself, whether that energy be traveling at light-speed or more slowly, even to the point where energy becomes matter. Allow me to cite Einstein’s famous theory of relativity. For those who aren’t aware, it’s E = M * C 2, which translates to Energy equals Mass times the Constant speed of light in a vacuum squared.  In other words, mass is just extremely slowed down energy. Amazingly, life has evolved to reverse this process, causing mass to become energy again. Without this back and forth, this duality, nothing could exist. To complete the previous thought, data is able to be held by both energy and mass, which is really just two different sides of the same coin.

Now, back to the Logos. My theory for the structure of the universe rests on this key point: the universe started as a mass of energy, capable of containing an infinite amount of data within itself and yet with no data. A blank slate, if you will. Somehow, this mass of energy evolved…it created within itself matter, the first instance of transition from energy to mass, a very necessary step for life as we know it to come into being. Jumping what I can only assume to be a few billion years, the first matter compacted itself together to form countless stars, which then began a ballet in the vast space that they had open to them, each drawn to the others by another property of energy: the urge to be together.  We’ve decided to name this urge “gravity” with the subject of mass, and as far as energy itself goes…it’s constantly flowing in and out of its two forms in an attempt to consolidate. Now, I could go into more detail over the next few billion years, but for the sake of your collective sanity I’ll skip to the formation of life. 

As we can all generally assume if we don’t know for certain, all this time matter forming various elements  and compounds, complicating itself further and further until it reached a point where it could afford to create life. This life started out as single celled organisms, growing more complex until multicellular beings came into existence. These multicellular beings kept growing and growing over millenia, evolving instruments to interpret data such as eyes and nervous systems until we have fish, and these fish ate each other to receive energy and mass, growing bigger and evolving the ability to escape the life sustaining water and venture onto dry land. The cycle of eating, growing, and evolving continued, all the while imprinting data onto the energy passing through life and matter. Somewhere down the line, humans evolved, utilizing a large, complex brain system and five very different yet interrelated sense organs to collect and interpret data. Thus far, we have proven quite adept at the task, going so far as to make our own creations which can collect and interpret data, all of which uses the energy constantly flowing around us. 

That, my friends, is my theory to the cause and purpose of the universe and existence. We were created by the Logos, which seeks information to be imprinted within it, and to both create and facilitate the gathering of information the universe unfolded as it did. Which brings me to my advice today:

Learn what you can, when you can.

Peace be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment